> For Lua32, as well as for Linux32, this 2038 problem of os.time is really
> quite nerving.
>
> [...]
>
> In my own "practical approach" I would now not count the number of seconds,
> but the number of 8 seconds - [...]

What version of Lua are you talking about? In 5.4, it should be easy
to change how you convert the "internal" representation of time (time_t)
and the "external" representation of time (lua_Integer), so a single
shift would solve your problems for Lua32. For Linux32, any solution
seems to be outside the Lua realm.

-- Roberto