The way I'd do this to avoid copies is I'd implement a buffer type with its memory managed by the engine (in C) and expose it to the Lua program as userdata. With the right metatables you can almost make it look like a string on the Lua side if you want.

Trying to use Lua-managed data in unexpected ways is always trickier in my opinion.

--
Pierre Chapuis