Hello Thijs,

great initiative.

I have previously contributed to and would like to help maintain LDoc and Penlight.

--
Pierre Chapuis

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021, at 01:31, Thijs Schreijer wrote:
All,

There have been many discussion in the past on this list on how to deal with abandoned projects. For this purpose we have created a new Github organization “lunarmodules” (see https://github.com/lunarmodules/ ).

This org is NOT about maintaining, but about governance. Essentially we will manage the org and add projects/teams/people for specific repo’s, but we will not do any maintenance work like fixing bugs, merging pr’s or pushing releases.

Why?
Because sometimes projects get lost, maintainers lack time, and forking and moving links all over the place is cumbersome. The governance of an org like this is light-weight and should be easy to maintain. This allows us to keep cornerstone libraries a float, even if they go unmaintained for a while.

Why not use the old Kepler project or the LuaRocks org?
The Kepler Project had some issues with copyrights, which were Keplers, but it was not a legal entity despite presenting itself like one. Also it seems the homepage these days has been hijacked by a spammer.
As for LuaRocks; many projects landed there for the lack of a better alternative, but this is not the right place.

Projects landed so far;
 - Penlight (not abandoned, but also not a 1 man project)
 - LDoc (the owner, Steve Donovan, handed the repo over)
 - lualogging (forked, unmaintained, former owner unresponsive)
 - luasyslog (revived, all traces were gone except a rock archive on LuaRocks)

If you have a project that you think should be moved here, or if you want to be added as the maintainer of one of the existing repo’s let us know.

Also; a couple of additional admins for the org would be nice, so let us know if you’re interested in helping the community out.

Cheers!
lunarmodules org team
(Thijs, Hisham, and…. you?)