The database solution is not immediately useful where there are lua tables
etc.  sqlite can store string, binary, float and integer but not a
structure which needs to be stored as a lua table, ie as a string to be
parsed. You could use a number of SQL tables to store the individual lua
tables but then that means a number of synchronised reads. Lua (I am using
the latest luajit and the coding is pure Lua, no C) is pretty fast at
interpreting a line of data.

userdata storage has much the same structure problem - there is a lua
routine to write userdata so I don't need to get my hands dirty!

memory mapping is possible but you have to map it to each instantiation ie
thread.  I am using Lanes which generates the threads on the fly so that
would be expensive.

As mine is a write-once, read-many situation, I could use zlib to compress
the each line first but haven't bothered with that as yet.

I eventually concluded that simplest is best and used /tmpfs (on Linux) to
store data as a file in memory which is read line by line, parsed as a
mixture of number, strings and tables of numbers.  There was very little
performance hit to gulping the whole file in one go and as the data are
processed line by line, little point.

Just ensure you don't fill the /tmpfs (generally about 10% of the actual
memory).

HTH