What kind of Robot?
I'm a VxWorks engineer and our customers make industrial Robots that do things like build cars and do high speed image recognition. Maybe a microcontroller somewhere handling a servo or two, but typically the main processor is a 64bit ARM device. No one would ever consider using Python or Lua, or any other interpreted language with garbage collection for real time control or image processing.  But for the configuration, UI, web management interface, and recipe management scripting languages are more and more common. I'm on both Lua and Python dev lists, and will admit to a preference for the smaller footprint and speed of Lua, but might also choose Python where it's vaste ecosystem packages offered something Lua didn't have for a particular design

Brian

On Fri, 29 Jan 2021 at 01:30, 孙世龙 sunshilong <sunshilong369@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you for your detailed explanation.

>How well does your target robot support your language.  Are their
>libraries to support the drive base, sensors, remote control, etc.
The drivers are all written in C.
Neither Lua nor Python directly controls the peripheral devices.

>You should also look at the eco-system around the robot.
>Things like the use of Robot Operating System - ROS will dictate
>your language choices. Because C is supported by most robots,
>you can do a Python or Lua wrapper in C and go from there.
I googled and found that there are ROS clients  for both Lua and
Python (for details, see http://wiki.ros.org/Client%20Libraries).

I can't agree more,  the eco-system is a key factor indeed.
And it seems that there are more libraries (developed by the third
party) for Python.

>Both Lua and Python support the programming
>you need to do, do you have the programming skills to be able to
>handle multiple things happening at the same time?
It seems that both Lua and Python are not friendly to multithreaded
programming.

Thank you for your attention to my question.

Best regards
sunshilong