On 13/01/2021 15:50, Marcus Mason wrote:
> I believe some of those languages are using other encodings in their
> source code, which I am not suggesting but I am aware that in some cases
> it's just coincidence. I also do not believe that it is a windows
> problem, the reason that lua works this way on *nix is because it's
> outputting the same encoding, if the encoding expected by those systems
> changed would it not be same situation? I just found something about
> setting the active code page in an application manifest, but I have no
> idea what that means to be honest.

It *IS* a Windows problem. Windows default console does not properly
support UTF8. This is a known issue!

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/windows-command-line-unicode-and-utf-8-output-text-buffer/
> Alas, the Windows Console is not (currently) able to support UTF-8 text!

The are working to fix it, but they are not there yet.

Alternatively, download the new Windows Terminal app from the MS App
Store and try that. It does support UTF8 properly.