> We have taken an interest on Lua and want to purchase reading material
> to get familiar with Lua. But I noticed that the 4th edition released
> in 2016 is made with 5.3 in mind. I wondered if there is a 5th edition
> in the making that will soon be published, because with an untrained
> eye it seems like the changes in 5.4 are quite significant

I am not planning a new edition anytime soon. From the book perspective,
the changes to 5.4 are not that significant, except for the new
to-be-closed variables. The new garbage collector is another significant
change in the implementation, but it does not seem to have a relevant
impact on the book. In particular, there are very few incompatibilities,
so most material applies literally.

And many thanks for buying the book to support our project :-)

-- Roberto