On Tue, Nov 17, 2020 at 4:35 AM Soni "They/Them" L. <fakedme@gmail.com> wrote:

> There should be a way to configure the mailing list to encrypt mailing
> list messages (preferably with multiple keys, as ppl tend to have
> multiple devices, or even multiple keys per device for anonymization
> purposes). There should be a way to configure the mailing list to
> decrpyt mailing list messages (this one could use one mailing list key
> for all senders altho ideally at least one key per sender would be
> best). These would allow mailing list subscribers to opt-out of
> "external sender" in subject lines, increasing the list's
> signal-to-noise ratio by eliminating noise. (We don't know of any
> mailing list software that supports PGP tho, but we do get slightly
> annoyed by this stuff.)

The "[EXTERNAL SENDER]" stuff is added by an employer's mail system
(or a service provider on their behalf), it's intended to make
phishing harder by notifying the recipient that the email originated
from outside the company, there's not a whole lot you can do about
that in mailing list software. I get those at my place of work.

I don't see how encryption (PGP/GPG or otherwise) is relevant here,
this is a public mailing list. Signing messages would make more sense,
but there is no reliable certificate distribution system that can't be
subverted by "public/private partnerships" (i.e. criminals that
cooperate with intelligence agencies at times) that perform many of
the phishing attacks these days.

--
Gé