I just wanted to say tank you in regards to the following:

See the function debug.setcstacklimit. You probably has to set a
larger C stack. (Or wait for 5.4.2; we are reversing back to a
stackless implementation, which uses less C-stack space.)

I was concerned that new versions of Lua could no longer be used in embedded devices. With an RTOS, the thread's stack size is usually set in kilobytes and 20Kb works fine with older versions of Lua.

-W