In case you are interested:  https://github.com/smarr/are-we-fast-yet is a benchmark suite I already used with my SOM Smalltalk implementations (see https://github.com/rochus-keller/smalltalk/ and https://github.com/rochus-keller/som/). Here is the description of the benchmark suite: https://stefan-marr.de/papers/dls-marr-et-al-cross-language-compiler-benchmarking-are-we-fast-yet/.

Applied to different Lua VM versions, I get these results: http://software.rochus-keller.ch/are-we-fast-yet_lua_results_2020-10-12.pdf

I currently try to run the benchmark (plain Lua) with Pallene and consider to try a similar approach with my SOM implementation (which heavily depends on closures and thus doesn't profit from a speed-up on LuaJIT). Any thoughts?

Best
R.