> I feel like I read some explanation for this, but can't find it any more.
> What are the meanings of the various prefixes seen in the Lua source code?
>
> eg: lua_, luai_, l_
>
> Are these documented somewhere?

This is for internal use, and there is no documentation. Usually, 'lua_'
is for public names (exported through the official API), 'luai_' are for
names that should not be used by external code, but need to be visible
there, and 'l_' is for internal names. ('l_' is usually used only in
simple/small names, which could collide with some name being imported in
a header file.)  (Note the "Usually"!)

-- Roberto