I use NodeMCU on an Espressif ESP32.

It’s basically a Lua-based OS for the ESP and a few other related microcontroller boards.

Check nodemcu/nodemcu-firmware on Github.

It consists of Lua and a bunch of relevant libraries (e.g. Wi-Fi, basic BLE, GPIO twiddling, outputting to various popular microcontroller displays) that are built using the Espressif IoT Development Framework that is based on FreeRTOS.

I really like it but I only use it for fun. How good it is for soft real-time programming I have no idea - I have just used it to play around with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi sniffing.

If you want to see what is possible using pure Lua-based firmware on a microcontroller you might as well try it.

There is an ESP8266 version (where you can choose Lua 5.1 or 5.3) and and ESP32 version (5.1 only). Suitable development test boards are a couple of dollars each, USB powered and with a USB UART so you don’t even need to put them on a breadboard.

I have also tried Whitecatboard, a Lua-based RTOS firmware for a range of different boards (also ESP-based), but haven’t done anything serious with it.

Check whitecatboard/Lua-RTOS-ESP32 on Github.