I've tested -O3 -march=native and it makes no difference for my use case. I tend to avoid O3 unless on code that I know math operations could be vectorized, like in a matrix library, I don't think O3 can do much in the Lua interpreter. Also O3 can generate more code and bigger binaries, under certain circumstances this can be slower.

Em qui., 20 de ago. de 2020 às 10:23, v <v19930312@gmail.com> escreveu:
On Thu, 2020-08-20 at 08:50 -0300, Eduardo Bart wrote:
> 1. Setting a baseline.
> My baseline is the Lua 5.4 interpreter using just "-O2" optimization
> in CFLAGS,
> Other things I've tried and made almost no difference:
> * Adding -march=native CFLAGS.

I suspect that -march=native might have bigger impact at -O3, where
automatic vectorization is allowed, so machine-specific boost from
-march becomes more noticable. Can't say this reliably.

Either way, -O3 alone may raise performance.
--
v <v19930312@gmail.com>