Counting the number of bits can be improved a lot instead of using successive shifts by 1 bit, you can at least compute the number of bits set in a 32 bit integer in a very few operations, without any loop.
See https://stackoverflow.com/questions/109023/how-to-count-the-number-of-set-bits-in-a-32-bit-integer