> When trying to build Lua 5.4 for openSUSE (with running the test
> suite from https://www.lua.org/tests/) we hit one failing test
> [...]
> Any comments?

Please, read the disclaimers in the page where you got the suite. In
particular:

  * The test suite is not a product; it is just a tool for our internal
    use. It is available here by popular demand but we cannot give any
    kind of support for it. You're on your own.

  * Note that, by its very nature, Lua is heavily dependent on the
    underlying standard C libraries. Sometimes the test suite fails
    because these underlying C libraries do not follow the ANSI
    standard. There is not much we can do about it.

  * The complete test suite (that is, without the _U option) tries
    to test every corner of the language, its libraries, and the C
    API, even corners that are system dependent. Unlike Lua itself,
    these tests do not aim at portability, small footprint, or easy of
    use. Their main goal is to try to crash Lua. They are not intended
    for general use. You are welcome to use them, but expect to get your
    hands dirty.

Thanks,

-- Roberto