On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 3:06 PM Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <lhf@tecgraf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
> Woops my bad, I didn't see that the online version was the 1st edition.

It's clearly stated at the top of every page for the book, isn't it?
How can we improve that note?

For the record (and the lazy), the current note is:

This first edition was written for Lua 5.0. While still largely relevant for later versions, there are some differences.
The fourth edition targets Lua 5.3 and is available at Amazon and other bookstores.
By buying the book, you also help to support the Lua project.

I looked at it, and it took me a moment to spot the word "This" at the beginning, which is the sole word that actually indicates what applies to "this page". It blends in with the start of the next line, and my eyes glossed over it.

I might suggest the following tweak:

The online edition shown below is an older version of Programming in Lua, written for Lua 5.0. While this first edition remains largely relevant for later versions, there are some differences.
The latest version is the fourth edition, which targets Lua 5.3 and is available at Amazon and other bookstores.
By buying the book, you also help to support the Lua project.