What I describe here is not slower than the current implementation. It is also a "add-multiply-rotate-xor" hashing function (like SIPhash) but with a simpler pragmatic design.

I'm not even convinced that SIPhash is really optimal (I've not check what was its equivalent multiplication factor, if it exists, to see if it's **really** a prime) and its implementation is more complex (with a complex series of loops for each step), than the single line I propose.

SIPhash uses a seed which is a static string, but here we can keep the variable "seed" (which is combined with the string length like in SIPhash) and that can be an arbitrary integer (that the implementation of table could initialize at startup with a random number, and kept in a static variable as long as the Lua VM is running or is not reset for for other independant Lua script runs.

My proposal (unlike SIPhash) does not need any lookup table to perform the compression step at each loop (and SIPhash uses multiple loops per input unit, here I just use one loop per unit).

My proposal also allows processing units larger than one byte, to process the string with aligned word reading (replace cast_byte(str[l]) by cast_unit(str[l]): this can be used for the first word of the string and the last word (padded with zeros using byte reading).

* Short strings that are smaller than 2 words (smaller than 16 bytes on a system with 64-bit uint's) can be processed by a simple loop using only byte reading, without taking care of alignment and byte order.
* Long strings that are 2 words or longer can always be processed by hashing the first word, then an aligned loop every "step" words (where the last processed word in the loop will contain up to 8 bytes at end of string, followed by the remaining bytes at end of string that will fill an aligned word...

The step used in the loop can be adjusted to reduce the hashing time: it's easy to termine the step value that ensures that a given maximum number of loop will remain low (for example between 32 and 64) for any string length. The starting N bytes of the string and the ending N bytes of the string (where N is the wordsize) will always be hashed, just like the string length.