I've collected the PDF of a paper given at ACM HOPL III, 9-10 June 2007,
San Diego, CA, USA, entitled "The Evolution of Lua".  Snippets of this
paper are quoted in Lua's Wikipedia page.

On PP 2-3, we have a list under the title "Other distinguishing features
of Lua come from its implementation:".  I'll just quote the first item --
together with its footnote -- as relevant here:

        Portability:  Lua is easy to build because it is implemented
        in strict ANSI C.[1]  It compiles out-of-the-box on most
        platforms (Linux, Unix, Windows, Mac OS X, etc.), and
        runs with at most a few small adjustments in virtually
        all platforms we know of, including mobile devices (e.g.,
        handheld computers and cell phones) and embedded mi-
        croprocessors (e.g., ARM and Rabbit).  To ensure porta-
        bility, we strive for warning-free compilations under as
        many compilers as possible.

        [1] Actually, Lua is implemented in “clean C”, that is, the
            intersection of C and C++.  Lua compiles unmodified as a
            C++ library.

Lua 1.0 came out in 1993, so "ANSI C" would obviously mean C89 (and
its ISO equivalent).

--

Further down the paper, from the "Retrospect" section, comes:

        Another thing that has worked well was our insistence on
        portability, which was initially motivated by the diverse plat-
        forms of Tecgraf’s clients. This allowed Lua to be compiled
        for platforms we had never dreamed of supporting. In par-
        ticular, Lua’s portability is one of the reasons that Lua has
        been widely adopted for developing games. Restricted en-
        vironments, such as game consoles, tend not to support the
        complete semantics of the full standard C library. By gradu-
        ally reducing the dependency of Lua’s core on the standard
        C library, we are moving towards a Lua core that requires
        only a free-standing ANSI C implementation. This move
        aims mainly at embedding flexibility, but it also increases
        portability. For instance, since Lua 3.1 it is easy to change
        a few macros in the code to make Lua use an application-
        specific memory allocator, instead of relying on malloc and
        friends. Starting with Lua 5.1, the memory allocator can be
        provided dynamically when creating a Lua state.

Okay, enough on this topic.  I entered in response to this comment
that I found in Lua Digest Vol. 118, Issue 83: