Lorenzo,

Can you see where this is leading? An upgrade nightmare.

Yes I can see your point. Nevertheless this has been done multiple times in the Lua lifetime.
All reference manuals I have seen on Lua.org do include a section on incompatibilities with previous versions (language, libraries, APIs).

Incidentally, I do not believe many would dare to use "const" as a variable or function name, because it is reserved in almost all other languages.
Habit or practice should have prevented the use of the word "const".

This could also open up some margin for optimizations in the future.

That is my hope too!

Lua not to become a C-syntax nightmare, where ugly patches and stiches
Lua Team has already proven to be able make somewhat drastic choices in

Absolutely agree. Looking at Lua today one can see that the Team has made the right choices in the past.

Anyway, it could be interesting to hear form RI what is the reason not to take the drastic choice this time.

So to summarize:
I take also the opportunity to suggest again that we could also get rid of get/setmetatable as the Team has done in the past with get/setfenv:
I trust the Team will make the best choice as they have always done.

   Andrea

--
Andrea Vitali