On 15/05/2020 16:41, Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:
P.S.: I just noticed that the compilation is done in -std=gnu99 mode. Why is
it necessary to bring in gnu features? And which are those? Isn't it
possible to use standard conforming c99 mode?

Lua works fine with -std=c99. In fact, our internal makefile (in
the git) uses this option. The distribution uses gnu99 only to be more
permissible.

-- Roberto

Thanks for the reply!

Since there is no functionality for which gnu99 is actually needed, then I wonder whether it would be useful to change that to c99 also in the distro makefile. It would allow to catch more warnings when compiled by people at large, and that could be useful feedback for you.

Maybe it could be a good change for Lua 5.4.0-RC4, unless you are afraid of receiving too many reports of spurious warnings.

Perhaps you could add an option in the makefile to compile with gnu99 only for people who get spurious warnings, but keep c99 as the default.

My 2 eurocent, anyway :-)

Cheers!

-- Lorenzo

P.S.: I hope you are all well there in Brazil with this COVID emergency. Judging by the news we get from the media here in Italy, your situation seems a bit gloomy. Stay strong!