1. I agree global by default is a lot easier for non programmers; that is a big plus - thank you very much for pointing that out - I recall this was mentioned in some very old wiki/archive post when talking about the origin of Lua (I tried to read the whole archive since the inceptions, that helped me understand and appreciate upvalues for examples, which could only be "read" in the old times)

2. Yes "local" makes scoping explicit, but from my programmer perspective "nonlocal" would do the same; but maybe I am missing something; can you elaborate more?

3. Unintentional shadowing: can you make some simple example? It seems to be that in both cases (explicit local or nonlocal) shadowing can happen and the programmer must know what he is doing. Also about static analysis: in which sense it is "easier" for the analysis tool? (sorry if this is a dumb question - I am learning by asking)

4. Yes I am aware of the "strict" option, I agree it can capture a lot of mistakes!

--
Andrea Vitali