> I've conducted an experiment to speed up Lua state creation with static
> hash tables generated by GNU gperf and got some interesting results.

Very nice!

Your solution seems to require some manual editing of luaopen_*
functions. Your lx_open function in each module contains some of the
code from the luaopen function plus sometimes inside information, such
as replicating some of what luaL_newmetatable does (as in
complex/module.c). I wonder whether this can be avoided with some help
from the module writer. Perhaps we need an extension of luaL_Reg to
contain data types. Any thoughts?