Hello,

I'm still a bit in the dark with Lua and modules but getting there.

LuaRocks comes with Lua 5.1, which is too old for some modules like dkjson:

=======
C:\Temp\Lua>luarocks install dkjson
Installing https://luarocks.org/dkjson-2.5-2.src.rock
dkjson 2.5-2 depends on lua >= 5.1, < 5.4 (5.1-1 provided by VM)
No existing manifest. Attempting to rebuild...
dkjson 2.5-2 is now installed in C:\Program Files\LuaRocks\systree (license:
MIT/X11)
=======

So, I attempted to use MingW to compile Lua 5.3.5:
=======
1. Launch Mingw shell: C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\msys.bat
2. cd /c/temp/lua/Lua.5.3.5.src
3. make PLAT=mingw
4. make install
Files copied in c:\MinGW\msys\1.0\local\
=======

And then, I tried to compile LuaRocks with Lua 5.3.5:
=======
1. Open a cmd window
2. install.bat /MW /LV 5.3 /LUA c:\MinGW\msys\1.0\local\
lua.exe - System Error: The program can't start because lua53.dll is missing
from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.
=======

What is the right way to compile Lua so that LuaRocks will compile OK?

Thank you.

PS: Am I correct in understanding that some Lua modules are plain Lua so can
be installed by simply downloading the .lua file, while others a written in
C, hence the need to install a C compiler and tell LuaRocks about it?

--
Sent from: http://lua.2524044.n2.nabble.com/Lua-l-f2524044.html