It would be weird to write code like (3.14 * x):sin(), wouldn't it?
You can set up metatables locally if you're embedding Lua. I think
that maybe this could be a good idea for threads, but not for other
types.

For arrays specifically:

function array(...)
   local a = {...}
   setmetatable(a, {__index = table})
   return a
end

One reason *not* to do this is that there are better array libraries
out there. Lua is a "glue" language, so it tends not to include
features in the core language that can be easily added by the user.
However, Lua is good at statically linking with lots of little
libraries that you just import whole and don't worry about dependency
management or anything. Libraries can be very short and still
efficient in pure Lua. If your use-case targets modern general-purpose
computers, this should work fine for you.

Unfortunately I think most Lua "stdlib" attempts tend to be too
ambitious and the creators "bite off more than they can chew". Nobody
wants to use a half-finished library. Lua Power (luapower.com) does an
okay job of accumulating various well-made libraries, although the
curated selection is... not curated enough, IMHO.