I am interested in participating.

It would be an interesting tool for the course We´ve developed, within the UpLua Project:

https://www.slideshare.net/FernandoJefferson/project-up-lua-200120

Fernando Jefferson
CCE-PUC-Rio - Professor
UpLua Project - Coordinator
Cel: +5521-99763-2135

Em 2020-03-07 16:09, Russell Haley escreveu:

Hi everyone,

TLDR; I'm looking for brave testers to try the new compiler toolchain, especially if you have a Win10 computer that doesn't have Visual Studio/VC++ or any other compilers on it. There are some minor warnings below.

I'm please to share the new installer for WinLua Release 3: Alpha 2. WinLua is fast becoming a complete toolchain for running Lua on Windows. The new Release 3 Alpha package contains *a complete C Compiler toolchain for Windows 10*. Yes, that's correct: Visual Studio/ VC++ is not required to use C based Lua modules on Windows 10 [1].

The WinLua Compiler Toolchain (WLC) is a slightly modified version of Martin Storsjo's llvm-mingw compiler toolchain found here: https://github.com/mstorsjo/llvm-mingw. The compiler can be invoked to build 32 or 64 binaries against mingw by calling wlc32.exe or wlc64.exe respectively. Best of all, the MSI installer configures LuaRocks to work with the Win Lua Compiler Toolchain. That means after the installer finishes you can open a Powershell window in Administrator mode and type `luarocks install <yer-favorite-C-module>` and everything "just works" (tm).

Anyway, I'm very excited and there is a great deal of information to share but I'll try to keep this "brief". As stated in the TLDR I need testers but that comes with a few caveats/bugs/comments:

1) The installer leaves files around after you remove it, including LuaRocks libs. To remove them, delete the WinLua folder under c:\Program Files (x86).
2) The installer leaves an environment variable: LUAROCKS_SYSCONFDIR that should be manually removed as to not affect future Luarocks installations.
3)  I have tested against a handful of C modules. LuaSocket is the only one that outright fails due to a configuration setting in the RockSpec. To build it, download the git repo and modify the rockspec to remove "LUASOCKET_INET_PTON" from the mingw32 table. Contact me if you need more details.
4) I have not built anything against the LibreSSL binaries (which are current at 3.0.2 by the way).
5) Visual Studio still works with the LuaRocks installation, but that configuration has only been lightly tested with this installer. Gcc-mingw has not been tested, but should work.

So, finally the link. The installer is 162MB  which is too large for GitHub so I will need to find a new distribution method. Until such time, the following is a public link to my OneDrive: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhdX-12NH-BT2Hroykjz7_VAik4f?e=JKmvkS