> Anyway, I still think 'a step at a time' would be the best policy. First
> step a stable, 'blessed' library.

I would break the steps even further: first step is a stable library.
Nobody can bless anything unstable.

> Then there is the matter of stability: Lua getting better is a great thing
> but, on the other hand, it is hard to build a large user base on shifting
> foundations. An industrial client of mine still develops in Python 2.7
> because splitting the codebase would be a huge headache for re-testing and
> maintenance of machinery installed around the world.
>
> But supporting multiple Lua versions for each module could be hard work (and
> no, I don't see a simple solution to this dilemma).

I may be wrong, but I think the main problem is that several libraries
are just not being maintained. Usually, it is not that hard to adapt
a library to different Lua versions. I agree that sometimes is not
easy, but I don't think that is the main issue. Just in case, I
volunteer to help any maintainer who are having technical problems
in updating a library to a new Lua version.

-- Roberto