I did an experiment to build Lua 5.3 as C++.
It worked fine, but calling any 'lua_x()' causes
link errors.

The comment in ldo.c indicates it's possible:
  ** LUAI_THROW/LUAI_TRY define how Lua does exception handling. By
  ** default, Lua handles errors with exceptions when compiling as
  ** C++ code, ...

Since LUA_API is either empty or defined as
'__declspec(dllimport)', I patched luaconf.h to suite
a C++ ABI:

#if !defined(LUA_API)
  /* around the original stuff.
#endif

and a '#define LUA_API extern "C++"' in an
external 'FI./config.h' file. How else should be do it?

Or is it only 'ldo.c' that could be compiled as C++?

--
--gv