On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 2:55 PM Dibyendu Majumdar <mobile@majumdar.org.uk> wrote:
On Wed, 29 Jan 2020 at 16:21, Roberto Ierusalimschy
<roberto@inf.puc-rio.br> wrote:

> > On a recent thread ("Dead Batteries" ) I argued that Lua lost terrain over
> > Python.
> >
> > I won't bother anyone repeating what I already said, but I stumbled on this
> > article which may explain something:
> >
> > https://www.techrepublic.com/article/python-is-eating-the-world-how-one-developers-side-project-became-the-hottest-programming-language-on-the-planet/
>

> 1970: PL/I will be the language to rule them all.
>
> 1980: Ada will be the language to rule them all.
>
> (1990: C++ will be the language to rule them all.)
>
> 2000: Java will be the language to rule them all.
>
> 2010: _javascript_ will be the language to rule them all.
>
> 2020: Python will be the language to rule them all.

One pattern is obvious - the golden age of scripting languages is
here. Text has won over binary.

I think it's just more that AOT-compiled languages are less likely to have the hubris necessary to claim to be the One True Language, especially since C's position in that role is pretty unshakeable at this point -- despite all its flaws and failings, just about everyone uses C at some point in the toolchain.

/s/ Adam