On Sun, Jan 26, 2020 at 7:55 PM Archie Cobbs <archie.cobbs@gmail.com> wrote:

> However, parallel execution is not relevant to what I'm proposing, which doesn't intend to change Lua's "single threaded" nature.

Lua's nature is single-threaded only when compiled with default defines. It can easily be compiled in a way that makes it thread-safe, and then multiple threads can execute in a single Lua VM concurrently.

Secondly, one important use of Lua is an multi-threaded process hosting multiple Lua VMs, where each is "single-threaded". In such a setup, I'd be very cautious about using a technique that assumes that multiple CPUs are rare and irrelevant.

Cheers,
V.