Hi,

On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 10:27 PM Rena <hyperhacker@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri., Jan. 10, 2020, 20:28 Ką Mykolas, <kamicc@gmail.com> wrote:
Could You share the firmware to take a look at? :}

On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 2:11 AM Rena <hyperhacker@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been hacking one of these, and discovered a few references to Lua
> in the firmware. Specifically a couple debug messages mentioning Lua
> and what looks like a LUA_PATH string. However I can't find any actual
> Lua scripts/bytecode. Has anyone else looked into this?
>
> (FWIW, the company also goes by GeneralPlus, and makes the actual
> chipset; you're unlikely to find their name on the outside of the
> device, but lots of SP-prefixed things inside.)
>
> --
> Sent from my Game Boy.

I could if I knew where to upload a 4MB binary file.

I got into the UART and there is a "lua" command, but I couldn't get it to do anything. Giving it Lua code, filenames, gibberish, just no result at all. I suspect the Lua support is just an option that this particular firmware doesn't have.

These chips are also used in cheap/knockoff video games (notably the Vii), so maybe it works there?

You could upload it to Dropbox, GDrive or something similar.
Did you try running "strings" on the firmware image and see if anything interesting comes up (besides "lua" and "LUA_PATH")?
What does the LUA_PATH string look like?
You could also try running https://tools.kali.org/forensics/binwalk on the firmware image, it can't hurt :)

Best,
Bogdan