> not big enough of a userbase

On the contrary. Lua is used in some well-known, massive projects. Its nature as an embedded language means it never gets the flashy focus, so you'd never KNOW just how big it is just by looking, but its success is entirely BECAUSE it doesn't prescribe or standardize how any given host must use it. It doesn't bring batteries because the host application should already have everything it needs, and it would be a pretty lousy experience if a host had to hack around the "standards" in order to make it work.

I suspect this is also the reason that no standardized "batteries" package has ever caught on. Everyone has different needs so the places where serious money is getting poured into using Lua don't really have much of an incentive to standardize -- it wouldn't give them any benefit.

/s/ Adam