Italo,

It depends what you are looking for. Regarding the Lua values, objects and virtual machine, I recommend the paper "The Implementation of Lua 5.0" by Roberto, Luiz and Waldemar. It is a little bit outdated but most of the ideas are the same.

There is also another paper by Kein-Hong Man called "A No-Frills Introduction to Lua 5.1 VM Instructions" that is very insightful. I have found an updated work-in-progress version by Dibyendu Majumdar here: https://the-ravi-programming-language.readthedocs.io/en/latest/lua_bytecode_reference.html

Both these papers helped me a lot when I needed to delve into the source code.

Regards,
Gabriel