Hi,

My favourite method is to add to the result a metatable whose __index function returns an empty table with exactly that same metatable attached, which can be the same predefined table for all cases.
Effect is that always an empty table is returned if the indexes are exhausted. In your case the function  may need to check if the index is a number and return the table, else nil.

--
Oliver