On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 6:04 PM Chris Smith <space.dandy@icloud.com> wrote:

> Thanks, that’s what I needed to know.  I can guarantee that references will be preserved, so this isn’t an issue.

If I understand the intent correctly, you would like to use a string returned by Lua after it was popped off the stack, on the account that it had previously been registered.

I would recommend against this. This technique is brittle.

Note that the documentation warns explicitly: "Because Lua has garbage collection, there is no guarantee that the pointer returned by lua_tolstring will be valid after the corresponding Lua value is removed from the stack".

I doubt you will gain much by popping prematurely, but I can guarantee that any eventual bugs will be a royal pain.

Cheers,
V.