On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 8:12 AM Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 1:42 AM Frank Kastenholz <fkastenholz@verizon.net> wrote:

> On Oct 24, 2019, at 10:41 PM, Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> So this isn't so much a question as a brain storming exercise:...

Hi
Several years ago I was involved in a similar effort.  While I can’t talk about the technical details, I can say

1) this project should be quite doable.  The one I did took 2-3 developers less than 6 months.

2) Lua, as we all know is a very small footprint.  The libraries and interface code, on the other hand can use a lot of space. We had to write a fair amount of code to interface the Lua programs to the system
It was running on.   If I recall, the final executable image was between 5x and 10x the size of the base Lua.  We had some unique requirements that you might not have, but regardless, this is something to keep an eye on.

3) we also ran into the issue with the Lua application’s memory and processing needs - the app writers all had an attitude that “resources are free”. :-(

4) depending on the capabilities of the RTOS you may need to write a “timeslicer” for the Lua VM - have it execute N VM instructions, yield back to the RTOS, and then get control back to repeat the cycle.  This was probably the single hardest bit of code we had to do for our project (not that it was that hard).  We also had a requirement to be able to run multiple Lua programs independently (think separate processes in Unix)

Anyway, good luck and let us all know how it works

Frank Kastenholz

Thanks Frank.

How does one cross compile in Lua?

Russ
Okay, the threads of information are starting to come together:

Thanks LHF