You might be interested in trying out my "UTF-8 identifiers patch",
which I posted about in the list:
http://lua.2524044.n2.nabble.com/UTF-8-identifiers-patch-td7684626.html

It's not quite satisfactory (it probably should normalize, and allow
ZWNJ and ZWJ in certain positions; see
https://www.unicode.org/reports/tr31/tr31-31.html#Layout_and_Format_Control_Characters),
but it's an improvement over simply allowing all non-ASCII bytes in
identifiers, and it didn't greatly inflate the binary.

— Gabriel