This isn't an issue with microsoft, if I run lua in WSL (same terminal) it can handle UTF8 input correctly, so my input is correctly handed to the linux subsystem. The issue is with how lua reads characters on windows, I think using fgets is not robust enough.

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 1:36 AM Scott Morgan <blumf@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
On 23/10/2019 19:06, Marcus Mason wrote:
> when I use  chcp 65001 to change codepage to utf8 the lua repl cannot
> handle utf8 input:
>> [[€]]
>>>
> Does anyone know how to fix this?

I don't think MS has officially fixed their broken UTF8 support for the
command prompt and std C functions yet.

Scott