Yes of course this should be done in C. I can do it in my own lib. But to
send message to devices of other people, it would be very nice to have a
standard way to define this packing. If there would be lua support for this,
at least for the basic things, it would be VERY nice if they can be done
"intrinsic" in Lua.

To keep things simple, the bit-/byte-count values could be restricted quite
much. I would be happy with the following additional types:
a,a2,a3,a4,a5,a6,a7,b3,h3 (+ the corresponding unsigneds with large letter),
plus r for short-float. And we could agree, that all types automatically
aling to byte, except the bit-types a...a7, they really need bit packing if
they succeed on each other... .

--
Sent from: http://lua.2524044.n2.nabble.com/Lua-l-f2524044.html