Hi

A long time ago I wrote a simple function to validate the contents of a lua table.

It took as input the table to validate and a table describing the table. The descriptor table had an entry for each possible entry in the data table.  For each possible entry it indicated a) whether the entry was required or optional, the valid type()s of the entry, and a bunch of stuff to validate the data (eg, mom and max numerical values).  If the entry  can itself be a table then the descriptor table has a reference to another descriptor table (etc)

The checking function also took a flag to indicate whether the table being validated could contain entries not in the descriptor table (or must only have entries in the descriptor table).

I don’t have access to it right this moment ... I can dig it out tonight and clean it up and post it tonight...

Frank