On Sat, Jul 6, 2019 at 4:37 PM Coda Highland <chighland@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Could be possible to define 'closure' before its first usage on the manual?
>
> To be fair, the Lua manual doesn't define "function" or "variable" before their first uses either. There's a standard computer science definition for the term.

To be fair, you would certainly admit that there are more people
knowing about function and variables than people knowing what a
closure is :-)

Many users came to Lua in a scripting context (think for example
World of Warcraft). And not all of them have a CS background!

I think Rodrigo has a valid point here. Maybe the first use of
"closure" in section 3.4.4 could just link to an explanation in
another part of the manual?  (or to a reference to the PiL?)

(The same could also be said about "upvalue", which is used before
being defined in sect. 3.5)

Phil