26.06.2019, 23:32, "Philippe Verdy" <verdy_p@wanadoo.fr>:
> Many people (and I think all programmers) can't "live" without
> the more conventional (and more powerful) regexps, but most
> can live without the (severely limited) Lua patterns !

they are indeed too limited, even for an occasional regexp user like me.
even very basic functionality like pattern alternatives is lacking.

> But you've got that shell scripting support in Bash which also
> supports the same regexps

since when does bash support regex ?
zsh has them though, they use PCRE or just plain posix re i guess.

> (so much that sed has been inlined into Bash or Busybox) !

not into bash but into BusyBox (should also be part of ToyBox
since sed is required by POSIX).

i wonder how Lua became Russ' "preferred hammer" for regex pattern
matching tasks ?? :-/

Philippe:

1.2 FREEMAIL_FROM
Sender email is commonly abused enduser mail provider (verdyp[at]gmail.com)

what have you done to the list blockwarts again ? :D