I see only a single useful case for annotating an empty statement (i.e. just after any single ";" which is always isolated and has no further tokens in any context), it's for emitting some debugger info (or execution tracking logger, or breakpoint) that applies to a reachable point of execution, i.e. between two separate statements that are otherwise not themselves annotated by it.