On windows 10 and without any optimization I got a limit of 208 both with mingw and with visual studio 2012. Instead, enabling -02 and /02 I got:

msvs2012 limit: 2224 [1]
msvs2012 out:

testing C-stack overflow detection
testing simple recursion:
2188            final count: 2189
testing stack overflow in message handling
2440            final count: 2441
testing recursion inside pattern matching
testing stack-overflow in recursive 'gsub'
183             final count: 183
testing stack-overflow in recursive 'gsub' with metatables
275             final count: 275
OK

mingw limit: 7757
mingw output:

testing C-stack overflow detection
testing simple recursion:
7680            final count: 7722
testing stack overflow in message handling
5655    0
8408            final count: 8665
testing recursion inside pattern matching
testing stack-overflow in recursive 'gsub'
512             final count: 644
testing stack-overflow in recursive 'gsub' with metatables
954             final count: 966
OK
966

Both are 32 bit executables. The machine is an Intel i5 6200u, 8 GB ram.

pocomane

[1] With visual studio I got stocastic results with 2227 and 2228. From 2229 on, lua always crashes. I can not explain the random behaviour.