> No, I haven't missed it. I tried to state I'm ok if liveness /
> collectablity / whatever definition is changed, as long as it is
> documented, but I think there is some vocal chunk of the community
> which thinks behaviour could be changed WITHOUT docummenting it
> clearly as a breaking change ( I define that as a change which can
> break code, not neccessarily breaks it ).

My point is not that the behaviour could be changed without docummenting
it clearly as a breaking change, but because I still don't see what we
would be breaking.  Where does the documentation state that a value
stored in a local variable cannot be collected after that local is dead
(that is, not needed anymore)? Can you point me where (or how) does the
documentation give this garantee?

I, as one of the main authors of mentioned documentation, certainly
never wanted to give the assurance you are reading there. So,
if that assurance is really there, we would like to remove it,
not because anything changed in 5.4, but because it should never
be there in the first place. (In particular, we never think about
that when implementing Lua. Things work that way just because it
is simpler to implement.)

(I know about "objects that are no longer accessible from Lua". But
where is any assertion about the meaning of "accessible from"?)

-- Roberto