> [...]
>
> Assuming the cstack.lua tests are valid also for 5.3.5, my guess from the
> above results is that it's not my system or compiler configurations but
> something in 5.4 is causing this dramatic reduction in maximum recursion.
> But, that's for you to decide.

As already explained, there are strong reasons for the difference
between Lua 5.3 and 5.4. However, I tested Lua 5.4 in a smaller
Windows 7 (32 bits, 512 MB), with VS 2010; it passed all tests with
that limit of 2200. So, my concern is why your system or compiler
configuration in Windows 7 needs a limit which is less than 4x
mine. (Even assuming that they did not correct the default stack size to
compensate for 64-bit words, that could explain a difference of 2x, not
4x.)

So, either the code from VS 2013 uses much more stack than VS 2010, or
there is some other difference. My code was compiled with command lines,
roughly this:

  E:\> cl /O2 /W3 /c /DLUA_BUILD_AS_DLL l*.c
  E:\> link /DLL /out:lua54.dll l*.obj

For reference, in my Linux machine that limit could be 10x larger
(22000) without problems.

-- Roberto