On Thu, May 09, 2019 at 04:15:24AM +0200, Jim wrote:
> but we can easily figure out where we are compiling and react
> accordingly.  when building the OS information is provided by the make
> call as in "make linux", "make solaris" etc. so we know the OS without
> such preprocessor macros anyway.

indeed.

the posix target in the Lua makefile should just run the uname(1)
utility to figure out the build platform and act accordingly (by passing
the correct -(D,I,L) options to the compiler) on its own.

this could obsolete the more specific rules (linux, freebsd, bsd, aix
etc) so that only the non-posix platform rules would remain
(do non-posix platform toolchains use makefiles at all ?).

enabling readline support by default on Linux is no good idea btw since
many distros do not install the needed headers/libs in the default install.