I am curious about what happens after the syntax has been settled. I can see how these generalized annotations would be set from the C side, perhaps by a generalized "lua_toclose" function. But how would the C side control the meaning of these annotations? Can the C side even check the value of annotations set from the Lua side? Must all annotations be associated to their own metamethod that receives a table with the additional parameters? Are there other examples of useful things to do with these annotations in Lua, besides block-scope finalization?