> (Note that we added 'toclose' to the syntax exactly to allow future
> extensions.)

Just to clarify - I think it is better to introduce a generic
annotation capability with a defined syntactic form and
interpretation, rather than just introducing something specific such
as '*toclose'. The feature can only be called a generic annotation
capability if Lua parser was able to skip over unrecognized
annotations, and if the syntax was expressive enough to be of real
practical use. This means that some definition of what/where is
allowed is required.

Regards
Dibyendu