Hi,

On Fri, 19 Apr 2019, Dirk Laurie wrote:

Op Do. 18 Apr. 2019 om 21:16 het Peter Aronoff <telemachus@arpinum.org> geskryf:

Thanks for asking this question, Hisham! I was too shy, but I had the
exact same thought. A few years ago, I rewrote all my modules *not* to use
_VERSION, _AUTHOR, etc.[1]

Maybe I didn’t need to rewrite them after all?

I've always thought about reserved names in a Lua 5.1 sort of way:
such global variables are reserved, but in one's own tables it's OK.

[snip]

Back in Lua 5.1 or 5.2 I had an issue with having a "_M" field in my tables (not globally). I don't recall the exact problem, but I think it was related to packages and modules reading and/or storing something in "_M".

Cheers,
Mitchell