Does that look right?  i.e. IM, CD and IUP have an extra set of Lua5.3-related dlls that have to be added in separately; and Lua and Luagl don’t.  Correct?

  Yes.

But I also need to call a couple of functions in iuplua53.dll (specifically iuplua_open and iuplua_close).  And that is not working. When I call ::LoadLibrary for iuplua53.dll, the call fails (returns NULL).

  Check the return value for GetLastError after the call, it may lead you to what's going on.

Best,
Scuri